Copyright © 2015 Technology Frameworks
Last Updated on : 20 April 2018
With the approval of the Patriarch of Constantinople, the Assumption Church, after meeting in homes since 1928, was finally established on February 10, 1930 with services held in a rented building on the corner of Hillger and Kercheval, and a year later in the Oddfellows Hall on Hart Street.
In spite of the difficult times during the Great Depression, the Assumption Family was determined to have its own church building. A lot was purchased on the corner of Beniteau and Vernor Highway. The basement was built in 1933 and services were held there until the main body of the Church was completed the following year.
In 1953, the Church moved to a beautiful new edifice at 11000 Charlevoix which served the Assumption family for nearly 25 years. A community center was added in 1957.
In 1969, the General Assembly approved a new Master Plan to include a hall, classrooms, offices, a gymnasium and a new Church. In 1972, ten acres were purchased in St. Clair Shores/Grosse Pointe Woods. A formal groundbreaking in 1976 marked the beginning of a new cultural center, where Liturgies were held while plans were finalized for a sanctuary.
The cultural center became a place of fellowship for Assumption families and their neighbors as an outreach program was established. The motto of the ancient Greek philosophers “A healthy mind resides in a healthy body,” became the standard for the classes which included classes in self-
An Assumption Nursery School was established in two classrooms for working parents. In 1981, Assumption Church purchased an empty elementary school building located just two blocks from the church. The nursery school was recently honored by the State of Michigan as one of the outstanding preschool-
In April 1983, the doors of the magnificent new Assumption Greek Orthodox Church were opened by Bishop Timothy of Detroit, and consecrated by Archbishop Iakovos on the Feast of Pentecost, June 18, 1989.
During the 1990's the iconography was completed and the final church mortgage payment was made. A building endowment fund was established to ensure the future of our community; and, a scholarship fund was created to benefit the youth of our parish in memory of Mrs. Betty Nichols.
The Reverend Fr. Demetrios Kavadas continued as pastor and completed almost 40 years of ministry at Assumption when he retired in 2001.
In December 2002 the Assumption Church experienced a devastating fire. More than $3.5 million worth of damage was incurred, destroying the interior along with its beautiful iconography. The Assumption family was heartbroken, but the exterior of the church still stood, and thankfully there was no loss of life.
On December 21, 2003, almost one year from the date of the fire, the Assumption parish moved back into its old yet “new” church. It was a joyous day for the parish.
The Assumption parish celebrated 75 years of worship, witness, fellowship and philanthropy the entire year of 2004.
Under the present leadership of Father Michael Varlamos, the Assumption Church continues to flourish with approximately 1,000 families in its parish. The Assumption Greek Orthodox Church looks forward to the next 75 years of witnessing our Greek Orthodox Christian Faith.
Assumption Greek Orthodox Church